Become A Champion
Getting involved in our schools is easy, and it starts with a belief that our children - who represent our future - are a worthy investment in the strength of our economy and the well being of our community. At Champions of Education, we believe that strong schools mean a strong economy, but in order to make our schools strong enough to meet the demands and challenges of today’s global economy, our schools need help from us all.
Below are ten ways that you or your business can support education in Catawba County:
- Call your legislator and let him know that you value education in Catawba County and that an investment in our children is an investment in the future economic prosperity of this region.
- Become an Education Matters program - Visit the Education Matters web site (www.educationmattersincatawba.org) for further information and an application, or call Tracy Hall at 828-327-7000 x.4851.
- Promote "Leave for Parental Involvement in Schools" - Under state statute N.C.G.S. 95-28.3, every parent of a school age child is entitled to four hours per year leave from work to be involved in their child's education. The promotion of this statute in the workplace is an ideal way to foster family involvement in education.
- Become a Lunch Buddy Mentor - Every child deserves at least one caring adult in their lives, whether to assist with life issues or academics, and that adult could be you. COE is pleased to partner with Young People of Integrity, Catawba County Social Services and Catawba County United Way to bring the Lunch Buddy mentoring program to three pilot middle the schools - Grandview, Newton-Conover Middle and River Bend - during the 2011-2012 school year. Click here to find out more information and how to sign up!
- Sponsor a child in Dolly Parton's Imagination Library program - Imagination Library provides a free book subscription for children 0-5, and $25 will enable a child to receive one free book a month for an entire year.
- Support the Future Engineers summer camps - Now in its second year of operation, Future Engineers has offerings for elementary and middle school students as a way to enhance their STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) education and to begin exploring career opportunities in science and engineering fields.
- Support teacher projects by giving to DonorsChoose - By clicking on the DonorsChoose link from the COE home page, you will be taken to the COE Giving Page that lists all projects listed by Catawba County teachers.
- Adopt-a-School - By calling COE or approaching the principal at any one of our schools, an individual, church or business can learn about the school's needs and develop ways to help.
- Support Catawba County United Way's School Supply Drive - Typically kicking off in mid-July, this effort collects donated school supplies at various drop-off locations, and then the supplies are divided and distributed to each of our three school systems. Call 828-327-6851 for more information about how to donate or be a drop-off site.
- Support Social Services' Backpack Program - In coordination with schools, businesses, the faith community and community organizations, this programs provides a backpack filled with enough nutritional staples to feed the child throughout the weekend. Call 828-695-4418 for more information about ways to donate or volunteer for this critical program.